History of the Department
The first unit historically linked to todays Department of Applied Computer Science was the Division of Elementary Automatics under the leadership of Henryk Górecki, PhD. It was established in 1957 at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering in Industry and Metallurgy. In 1960, the Unit merged with the Department of Industrial Automatics lead by professor Juliusz Maydell. As a result, the Department of Automatics and Industrial Electronics was established. Henryk Górecki, PhD became the head of the Department.
In 1969, due to structural changes, the Department was transformed into the Institute of Automatics and Industrial Electronics. In the 70s and 80s, the Institute developed into separate units: Institute of Electronics, Intitute of Computer Science and an indepentent Department of Telecommunications. All these units were gathered under the short name of the Institute of Automatics.
In the early 80s, the Division of Computer Science Applications lead by professor Tomasz Szmuc has been developed within the Institute of Automatics. In 1992, due to the new law concerning higher education, there were further structural changes. The Institute of Automatics became the Department of Automatics, and the Division of Computer Science Applications has been transformed into the Laboratory of Computer Science. Professor Henryk Górecki was the head of the Depatment until 1997. He was succeeded by professor Ryszard Tadeusiewicz.
In 2012 the Department of Applied Computer Science was separated from the Department of Automatics. The staff of the new department were mainly scientists affiliated with the Laboratory of Computer Science. Professor Tomasz Szmuc became the first head of the Department.
Since November 2012, the head of the Department of Applied Computer Science is professor Leszek Kotulski.
The text was based on the book written by Henryk Górecki: „50 lat istnienia Katedry Automatyki AGH”, Wydawnictwo AGH, Kraków 2009